LA River Campout #5
May 21–22, 2016
2780 W. Casitas Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90039
*This event has reached capacity and no new RSVPS will be taken.
12 & Under: FREE
Reservation includes taco or veggie plate dinner by Tacos de Jalisco
No one turned away for lack of funds
California State Parks, Clockshop, and the National Park Service invite you to join us for LA River Campout #5. This overnight experience will include an evening of outdoor exploration at the Rio de Los Angeles Bowtie Project, complete with traditional campfire programs. This family-friendly campout will give Angelenos a chance to camp inside the city, on the banks of the scenic LA River.
LA River Campout #5 will take part in the 2016 BioBlitz, a nationwide week of campouts and outdoor activities designed to gather information on local ecosystems and species from citizen naturalists. Campers and park rangers will work together to complete the most detailed survey of local species on the Bowtie riverfront parcel to date! We will count birds at dusk, collect insects at night, survey the wild plants, review remote camera footage to discover what mammals have visited the site, and even throw a fishing line into the river to see what’s swimming below the surface.
All collected data will be logged through the free iNaturalist mobile app. The BioBlitz is an initiative of National Park Service and National Geographic.
- Knot Explorer Eugene Ahn leading knot tying demonstrations
- 2016 Woodbury ACE Center Spring Design Studio installations open for viewing
- La Ranger Troca mobile visitor center
- Mountains Recreation Conservation Authority bilingual campfire program
- Full camping set-ups, including tents, sleeping bags, and sleeping pads available for first time family campers courtesy of CA State Parks and the FamCamp trailer program
Have questions? Check out the Bowtie FAQ.